Ever since Episode IV came out back in 1977, Star Wars toys have been hot with boys – and even some girls! These days, new Star Wars toys are coming out all the time. In fact, some would say there are too many new toys based on the George Lucas universe. To help you get the most for your hard earned money, we are going to give you a list of some of the best 2012 toys based on Luke, Leia, Han Solo, R2D2, Yoda, C3PO and all your other favorites – even Darth Vader or Darth Maul!
Types of 2012 Star Wars Toys
To help you get through our massive list, here is a table of contents for the different types of new Star Wars toys we’re going to be talking about so you can switch directly to your favorite section. Here at Top Toys Blog, we like to make it easy for you.
- Star Wars LEGO Toys
- Star Wars Video Games
- Star Wars Action Figures & Collectibles
- Photos of Star Wars Toys
LEGO is a well known brand that is also loved – more and more by girls if you look at current LEGO sales numbers – and when it comes to the Star Wars universe, they have a lot of great sets – and LEGO minifigures.
- LEGO 9496 Desert Skiff
- LEGO 9497 Republic Striker-Class Starfighter
- LEGO 9498 Saesee Tiin’s Jedi Starfighter
- LEGO 9499 Gungan Sub
- LEGO 9500 Sith Fury-Class Interceptor
- LEGO 9525 Pre Vizla’s Mandalorian Fighter
- LEGO 9515 The Malevolence
- LEGO 9516 Jabba’s Palace
- LEGO 9677 X-Wing Fighter and Yavin IV
- LEGO 9678 Twin Pod Cloud Car and Bespin</li>
- LEGO 9679 AT-ST and Endor
- LEGO 9509 Star Wars Advent Calendar
For those who like video games, there is good news this year, with at least two hot Star Wars video games in the works for the near future – in a galaxy very close to home.
Star Wars Games Available NOW
Here is a look at Star Wars video game action in 2012.
- Battle Orders – This is a real-time strategy game released by LEGO for the iOS. The video game is also available on the official LEGO website. This is not a huge Star Wars video game that is going to shake the universe, but for the platform – iOS – it’s interesting enough for fans of the movies or cartoons or novels.
- Kinect Star Wars – This is a video game for the Xbox 360′s Kinect peripheral that was released on April 3, 2012. The events in this video game begin shortly after Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and conclude during Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Collection is a video game pack from LucasArts that is good for anyone who missed any of the games in the series. It includes both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. It was released on July 17, 2012 to much fanfare.
- Star Wars: Pit Droids – This was originally released by Lucas Learning in 1999.Intended for users age 9 and up, it was re-released for iOS on February 9, 2012. In the game, players guide a number of pit droids to the Mos Espa Arena from the Freight Ship. Simple but satisfactory for a quick Star Wars fix or something for a child’s iPad.
Star Wars Games Coming Soon
This year also saw the release of a lot of information about two possible new games based on Star Wars, including one that features the life of Boba Fett!
- Star Wars: First Assault – There is not a lot of information out there, but a good set of eyes noticed the title being registered and trademarked, which is what happened before the other new Star Wars game was announced and released. The game may involve “Entertainment services provided on-line by means of global and local area networks, namely, providing interactive computer games and interactive video games.” Hmmm. Very interesting, and something we’re going to be watching closely here at Top Toys Blog as we expand our video games section.
- Star Wars 1313 – With a release date of December 31, 2013 – yes, a year from now – there is going to be a wait for this game, but from those who have played early versions, it is a vastly dark and dangerous game where you play the role of a bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe. The thing to note about Star Wars 1313 is that it is being designed for the next-gen consoles and therefore it hasn’t even been said what consoles it will be available for or if there will be a PC version even. Still, the Boba Fett based game has a lot of Star Wars fans excited.
This was announced back in October of 2011 and the toys were released at the Toy Fair in February of 2012, but here is a comprehensive list of what Star Wars toys kids are going to be wanting this year – if they are into the new ones coming out all the time.
- Darth Maul — Spinning lightsaber
- Shock Trooper — Quick Draw Action
- Super Battle Droid — Firing Arm Blasters
- R2-D2 — Electronic lights and sounds
- Battle Droid — Firing blaster
- Darth Vader — Slashing lightsaber
- General Grievous — Lightsaber battle action
- Obi-Wan — Jedi kick
- Yoda — Whirling lightsaber
- Destroyer Droid — firing projectile
- Clone Trooper — backpack fires missiles
- Qui-Gon — grappling hook launcher
- Darth Maul — Slashing lightsaber
- Jar Jar Binks — Firing projectile
- Anakin — Backpack fires missile
- Padmé Amidala — Blaster with pull-out zipline
- Obi-Wan — Light-up lightsaber
- Qui-Gon — Light-up lightsaber
Star Wars Vintage Collection
There will be over 40 figures in the announced 2012 Vintage Collection, with over 75% exhibiting stylistic upgrades or changes from previous releases. The series will include characters from all six movies, The Clone Wars, and Expanded Universe.
Star Wars Fighter Pods
This new collectible character game features a simple play concept: Set up your collection of miniature figures and use the pods to knock them down! Here’s the official description:
“Micro heroes, mega battles! The new Star Wars collectible battling experience offers three ways to battle: Spin, Launch, or Roll your pod into battle! Over 100 Star Wars fighter pods figures from all six Star Wars films and The Clone Wars to collect!”
Discover the Force Figures
Walmart will be the only distributor for Hasbro’s new “Discover the Force” figures, which is a set of 12 different characters, two multi-packs, and two creature/vehicles in special 3D packaging (which also includes a pair of 3D glasses). Each comes with extra accessories.
2012 Star Wars Toys Photos